Food storage is a big problem for many people. Tons of food gets wasted every day because there is no means to store the leftovers. Many food vendors and vegetable and fruit sellers also have to waste a lot of food every day because it gets stale or spoiled. For a homemaker, storing food the right way can not only help you contribute your bit towards the environment but also will help you save money.
How Right Food Storage Helps You Save Money?
- When you store your cereals, grains, lentils and other dry ingredients in proper air-tight containers to ensure that no germs or bugs breed inside, you can use them for long. This prevents you from buying them repeatedly or rushing to the market often when you have to cook something. Right storage indirectly helps you save money.
- Storing gravies, freshly cut vegetables and fruits in the freezer gives them a long shelf life and helps you save time when you need to prepare your meals quickly. Time is money. When you have food prep done in the right way, you can save time in preparing your meals and spending that time in doing your work.
- It also helps you save money on junk food. When you have healthy food stored in your kitchen, you will not easily spend on quick fixes like junk food.
How to Save Money on Food Storage?
- You don’t have to buy fancy devices to be able to store food properly.
- All you need is a good and spacious freezer wherein you can keep food-grade boxes containing a week’s or month’s supply of food items.
- You can grind tomatoes and make purees. This prevents your tomatoes from getting rotten or spoiled and you will always have a tomato puree ready whenever you need to fix a quick pasta.
- Get good containers made of food-grade plastic that can be stored in your refrigerator. Ensure that you get boxes that fit well and are easy to use too.
- Always boil and keep certain food items that you need regularly in your meals. Items like sweet corn, boiled vegetables, pulses, and lentils can be boiled and freeze. Whenever you need them, you can always defrost them and use them. This saves a lot of time and money as you will not be using a lot of electricity or gas to cook them again and again.
- You will also save on washing vessels repeatedly when you have your food prep done in bulk. If you blend tomatoes for pasta every day, you will need to wash your grinder every day, but if you grind the tomato puree in bulk and store it, you will not have to wash your vessels repeatedly.
These are some cool hacks that help you save money and time on food storage. If you plan and start storing food items in bulk every weekend, you will find cooking your meals over the days very quick and easy. These are hacks followed by working people who do not have much time to waste during the weekdays. They store their food smartly so that they can eat healthy food whenever they want, without having to spend a lot of time preparing it.