A Mediterranean diet mainly focuses on traditional foods. These are the foods that were consumed by people in Greece and Italy back in the 1960’s. Besides, many studies have shown that these people were incredibly healthy. They never had or low risks associated with lifestyle diseases.
Along with this, the Mediterranean diet also comes with a lot of other benefits. It can result in weight loss, and it also helps in preventing premature death, type 2 diabetes, strokes, and heart diseases. Since there are many countries present around the Mediterranean sea, each of the cultures followed their food habits. Hence there is no one fixed Mediterranean diet that you can follow. That means there are many right ways to eat and follow a diet.
The Basics Of Mediterranean Diet
When you are on the Mediterranean diet, you should consider the following foods. They are fruits, vegetables, legumes, seeds, nuts, whole grains, potatoes, herbs, bread, fish, spices, extra virgin olive oil, and seafood.
Here are some foods that you should consume in moderation when you are following a Mediterranean diet. They are eggs, poultry, yogurt, and cheese.
You should consume red meat rarely if it is required. Otherwise, you can avoid red meat altogether.
There are certain foods that you should avoid when you are following a Mediterranean diet. They have added sugars, sweetened beverages, refined grains, processed meat, highly processed foods, and refined oils.
Avoiding Unhealthy Foods
There are some unhealthy foods that you should avoid when you are on a Mediterranean diet. They are,
- Foods that come with added sugar like ice cream, candies, and soda. Always avoid table sugar as well
- It will help if you avoid refined grains such as refined wheat, pasta, and white bread
- Avoid trans fats containing foods. Some of the foods that come with trans fat are processed foods and also margarine
- You should always avoid refined oils like cottonseed oil, canola oil, and soybean oil
- It is also essential to avoid processed meat. Hence you should never include hot dogs and processed sausages in your diet
- It is necessary to avoid highly processed foods for better results
Foods to Eat
There are many options that you can consider eating when you are on a Mediterranean diet. Some of them are
- You can find a lot of vegetables to consume this diet plan. Some of them are cucumbers, Brussels sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, onions, spinach, kale, broccoli, and tomatoes
- It would help if you considered eating fruits in this diet, and some of the fruits that you can find are peaches, melons, figs, dates, grapes, strawberries, pears, oranges, bananas, and apples.
- You can also consume seeds and nuts such as pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, walnuts, and almonds
- You should also include legumes in your diet, and you can add chickpeas, peanuts, pulses, lentils, peas, and beans
These are some necessary information that you should know as a beginner in the Mediterranean diet. Along with all the above foods, you can also consider eating healthy fats, herbs and spices, eggs, dairy, poultry, and seafood when you are following this diet.